Based on the experience working with different PLM consultant, one of the pain point of PLM is implementing Change Management i.e. mapping customer change process in PLM. Here let me take you through a simple use case of implementing change process for releasing a Manufacturing Process Instruction document.
Manufacturing Process Instructions (MPIs) are used to amplify engineering process specifications with specific instructions for controlling individual part processing and for assuring a documented, repeatable process.
MPIs also allows for changes in procedures without having to rewrite the engineering process specification. MPIs are written and controlled by manufacturing development personnel. As long as changes are below the level of detail in the manufacturing specification, they are approved and signed by only the Manufacturing Development Department, the Engineering Methods and Materials Laboratory, and the Manufacturing and Product Assurance Department.
Simple Business use case of Change Process in a PLM system as
- Engineering change orders (ECO) are used for changes in components, assemblies, or documents such as processes and work instructions.
- ECO = Engineering Change Request (ECR) + Engineering Change Notice (ECN)
- Change Control Board (CCB) is a committee that makes decisions regarding whether or not proposed changes to a software project should be implemented.
- Affected objects are parts, documents, process plans, or other revision-controlled objects that will be affected by the change. These are added to a task in the implementation plan of a change notice. Usually these parts or documents are affected when a user completes the assigned task.
- ISO 9001audit will have Approvers (PE, QE, PS)
- ISO 14001 audit will have additional EHS Mgr
- Approver along with ISO 9001.
Workflow mapped in PLM as
PLM System supports Organization change process efficiently.