Internet of Things (IOT) or Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) is the buzz word for the last 3 years or so. This article gives a high level overview of implementing IIOT to achieve SMART product development and manufacturing.
Drive manufacturing efficiency and process automation through a suite of standard, scalable and integrated technology solutions derived from engineering and manufacturing practices within the Industry.
IIOT association with Manufacturing:
Get Manufacturing Functions connected with Real time information system to enable predictive approach in all functions to serve Higher Reliability and High-Mix Low-Volume services solutions. The intelligent Machine to Machine or Process to Process setup has to equip with self-optimization, self-configuration, self-diagnosis, self-learning and ability in connecting with Real time information system to provide self-aware and triggering capabilities.
Overview of IIOT operation:
· Standardized factory process
· Investing in technology
· Enabling machine to machine communication
· Developing a comprehensive enterprise and facility data model
· Enable intelligent manufacturing decisions in a dynamic environment
IIOT Insight – Process Control and Analytics:
Applying new processes or tools – Collect performance statistics which is going to be baseline on which to gauge the impact of the new processes and analytic tools. The data model stores historical performance, facilitates common information roll-up thereby ensure that the right information is provided to the right people at the right time.
Enhancing Product Development:
As a product manager with responsibility for product development – driven to reduce costs, accelerate product innovation, enhance product features, improve product quality and get to market faster.
Few main things that will be consider for improvement with IIOT.
· Analyze real-world product usage and condition data across products and customers with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Application Lifecycle Management(ALM), Service Lifecycle Management and quality systems to enable data-driven closed-loop Lifecycle management.
· Integrate CAD, PLM, SLM and product data into augmented or virtual reality experiences to enable enhanced design reviews for real-time cross-discipline collaboration, shortened design cycles, and reduced physical prototyping.
· Condition data with FMEA models and predictive analytics for automated root cause analysis, reduced warranty claims, and higher quality design.
· Remotely identify and manage the as-maintained configuration of fielded products and securely distribute software updates to optimize performance, ensure compliance, and remotely deliver new product variants.
Functional view of IIOT Portal:
IIOT Portal / dashboard for Engineering and manufacturing will/can have the below functions based on the business process as Command Center, Operational Metrics, Process Monitor, SQC Charts, Traceability, Quality Monitor, Asset Management, and Product Information Management etc. which are relevant to Product Development…Smart Phone Receive actions/command from IIOT platform. Factory level platform will have information based on the Building –> Customer –> Product –> Line –> Sub line. Enterprise level platform will have complete information about the factories along the globe within the enterprise with additional information fetched from different systems (PLM, MES, Asset Management, Inventory etc…).
Return of Investment:
· Impact of automation equipment (Does not include impact of Data Automation)
· Quantified improvements determine your improved ROI.
· Improved ROI allows to quantify the business value of predictive analytics.
IT Challenges in IIOT:
Results and Benefits:
· Manufacturing leaders are focused on improving worldwide performance (cost, speed, quality) and agility in a world of increasing production and operations complexity, reducing risk and ensuring compliance.
· Inventory and Material Tracking
· Single Screen Operator View
· Real-time Asset Monitoring
· Connected Operational Intelligence
IIOT challenge is to eliminate some of the non-value added work that is so prevalent today on the product development involving cross functional team comprises marketing, engineering, manufacturing, shop floor, service etc. Many of the technologies that make up Industrial IoT are actually well-established. Intel Projections IoT products growing to 2000 billion devices by 2020.Each of us / Industrial machines could be connected to many smart devices each day. Easy access to all this information will unleash a new potential in product development and manufacturing.